Paul David BAILEY - 23/08/2016
Under section 27(A) of the Parole Act 2002
Paul David BAILEY
Hearing: 23 August 2016 at New Zealand Parole Board, Head Office, [withheld]
Members of the Board:
- Hon. MA Frater – Panel Convenor
- Judge D Mather
- Assoc. Prof. P Brinded
- Dr. S Davis
DECISION OF THE BOARD
1. Paul David Bailey was scheduled to be seen today to consider the sole issue of postponement.
2. The Board heralded its intention to consider this matter in the decision of 27 April 2016. Mr Bailey was then given formal notice to this effect on 24 May.
3. In the event he has elected not to appear. Nor has he arranged for counsel to represent him in his absence. This morning he signed a waiver, adding that he “could not be bothered” attending the hearing.
4. Mr Bailey has been convicted of terrible crimes against a range of victims.
5. As noted in the previous decision, although he completed the [withheld] for child sex offenders, he was exited from the graduates’ group.
6. He has been waitlisted to undertake an extended period of individual psychological treatment. It is recommended that this continue for two years or thereabouts. He may then be required to repeat the [withheld] `Programme. As well as formulating a release plan, he will also need to engage in reintegrative activities.
7. On the best case scenario, this process will take at least four years, if not longer. It depends upon the availability of psychological treatment and Mr Bailey’s engagement in it.
8. His message to the Board today suggests a complete lack of commitment to change.
9. In the circumstances the Board is satisfied that the grounds are made out for making a postponement order of the maximum duration, i.e. for five years from the date that parole was last declined, namely, from 27 April 2016 until 26 April 2021.
10. If Mr Bailey believes that there has been a significant change in his circumstances it is always open to him to apply to the Board under Section 27(6) of the Parole Act 2002 for an earlier hearing to reconsider his suitability for release on parole.
Hon. MA Frater