If you are a victim of crime, and want to be told when the offender is going to appear before the New Zealand Parole Board, you need to join the victim notification register (VNR).

The Police are responsible for registering victims on the VNR. Registration is not automatic, and you must fill out this form to apply. You don’t have to wait until after a trial to register; you can register at any time.

To update your contact details on the victim notification register, please email

Anyone can make a submission to the Board about an offender, but only registered victims are sent information about the offender on request, automatically advised of an upcoming hearing, and advised of the outcome.

To find out more about the victim notification register please contact Police, the court victim adviser or your local Victim Support office.

What is the victim notification register?
  • Victims of certain serious crimes can apply to the Police for inclusion on the victim notification register. This is administered by the Department of Corrections, but the Board is responsible for notifying registered victims of Board hearings and decisions.
  • Under the Victims’ Rights Act 2002, victims of the following offences may apply to be on the victim notification system:
    • sexual violation or other serious assault
    • an offence resulting in serious injury
    • an offence rendering the victim incapable
    • an offence resulting in the death of an immediate family member
    • any offence leading the victim to having ongoing fears for their physical safety or security, or for the physical safety or security of one or more members of their immediate family.

How do registered victims know there is going to be a hearing?

  • The Board is responsible for informing registered victims (ie those on the victim notification register) of the timing of the offender's hearing and their right to make oral or written submissions.

Can offenders and victims attend hearings at the same time?


Can the Board register me as a victim?

No. Police are responsible for receiving and verifying applications to be put on the victim notification register. Once an application is confirmed, Police send the details of the offender and victim to the relevant government agencies for action.

What if I'm a non-registered victim?

Even if you are not a registered victim, under the Victims’ Rights Act 2002 you still have the right to provide input and get information about the Board’s decisions.
You will not be notified automatically when an offender has a hearing but you can make written submissions and apply to give an oral submission to the Board about the offender’s case. If you prepare a submission you will be notified of the outcome of the hearing.