Charles John COULAM - 22/08/2017
Under section 21(2) of the Parole Act 2002
Charles John COULAM
Hearing: 22 August 2017
at (withheld) via AVL from NZPB Head Office, Wellington
Members of the Board:
- Hon. J W Gendall QC (Panel Convenor)
- Mr D Hauraki
- Ms K Snook
In attendance: [withheld] – Corrections Psychologist
DECISION OF THE BOARD
- Charles Coulam was sentenced on 19 December 1989 for crimes of murder and assault with intent to commit sexual violation. His parole eligibility date was 19 December 1999.
- His index crimes involved the brutal and shocking murder and violation of a British tourist on Mt Maunganui.
- When last seen by the Board on 8 September 2016 it noted that he had been diagnosed with (withheld).
- Mr Coulam is very unwell and has waived his appearance before the Board today (withheld)
- The parole assessment report records that he is not ready for release and the most recent forensic psychiatric report states that:
- Mr Coulam remains an undue risk to the safety of the community and cannot be released on parole and it is declined. He will be seen again in one year’s time, that is in the month of August 2018, that is before 31 August 2018.
Hon. J W Gendall, QC