Ivan James WILSON 23/06/2020
Under section 21(2) of the Parole Act 2002
Ivan James WILSON
Hearing: 23 June 2020
at Auckland Men’s Prison via VMR from NZ Parole Board, Head Office Wellington
Members of the Board: Sir Ron Young, Dr Jeremy Skipworth, Dr Greg Coyle, Chris King
Counsel: Seth Fraser
DECISION OF THE BOARD
- Mr Wilson was sentenced to preventive detention for indecently assaulting young boys and unlawful sexual connection and performing an indecent act on 12 to 16-year olds. He is subject to a sentence of preventive detention. His security classification is low. He has similar offending from 2006.
- We last saw him in December 2018. He had completed the Kia Marama Programme in 2008, but had re‑offended since that time, and had begun the programme again in 2016, but had been removed. At this stage it was suggested he undertake the Te Piriti Programme and he was identified to start it in April 2019.
- We are told today that effectively Mr Wilson has just completed the programme. The programme itself was completed in March, but the maintenance has continued on until essentially today’s date.
- The psychologist said that a report was not available because Mr Wilson had not completed his Te Piriti Programme. We express our surprise at that approach. Mr Wilson presumably had finished the programme in March and it was disappointing that we did not have a full psychological report today. We need to see such a psychological report and so we considered a further short adjournment was now the best way forward. We put that proposition to Mr Wilson and his counsel, Mr Fraser. They accepted that was the appropriate way forward. In the meantime Mr Wilson remains an undue risk. We will see him in the first week of November 2020, with a psychological report that takes into account what Mr Wilson has done on the Te Piriti Programme.
- There is some concern about his accommodation. We think energy needs to be put into suitable accommodation for Mr Wilson by both Mr Wilson, his family and his case manager.
Sir Ron Young