David Kang Huat LIM 27/7/2021
Under section 21(2) of the Parole Act 2002
David Kang Huat LIM
Hearing: 27 July 2021
at Tongariro Prison
Members of the Board:
Ms M More – Panel Convenor
Mr C Roberts
Ms M Kleist
DECISION OF THE BOARD
- David Lim is 46. He was scheduled to appear before the Parole Board on a sentence of five years for a number of sexual offences against males and disabling or stupefying his victims. David Lim was a practising doctor; they are now transgender and identify as female.
- Ms Lim denied the offending.
- Ms Lim has a RoC*RoI of .22366 and an ASRS of 1. Her statutory release date is 1 June 2022. She has 11 months remaining on her sentence.
- Ms Lim’s classification is low/medium. Her behaviour is polite and well mannered. There are no negative file notes.
- Ms Lim has waived her right to appear before the Board. The reason given is that there has been no change in her circumstances.
- Ms Lim is for deportation to Malaysia. The Parole Assessment Report tells us there are currently no flights available to Malaysia and they have just gone into a COVID-19 lockdown.
- Ms Lim has completed one-on-one engagement with a psychologist. She is waitlisted for further engagement around motivational changes. She has completed a safety plan and she has accommodation arranged with (withheld).
- As things stand, Ms Lim does not have a release proposal. Without confirmation that she can either be released safety into the community or deported, her risk remains undue and parole is declined.
- The Board will see Ms Lim again in six months, that is January 2022. We advise Ms Lim of the options available under section 26 of the Parole Act 2002 should her release proposal be firmed up.
Ms M More