Ian Herbert WINMILL 3/3/2021
Under section 21(2) of the Parole Act 2002
Ian Herbert WINMILL
Hearing: 3 March 2021
at Whanganui Prison
Members of the Board: Mr N Trendle – Panel Convener
Mr R Mihinui
Mr A Spierling
DECISION OF THE BOARD
- Ian Herbert Winmill is making a further appearance before the Board and a sentence of 12 years’ imprisonment for serious sexual offending involving five victims over a period of 11 years. His statutory release date is 30 January 2026.
- In 2017, a psychological assessment concluded with the recommendation that Mr Winmill complete the Child Sex Offender Treatment Programme and the Drug Treatment Programme. The report prepared for today's hearing recorded that Mr Winmill was allocated a space on the Drug Treatment Programme but declined the opportunity. He is also wait-listed to attend the Child Sex Offender Treatment Programme beginning next year or afterwards.
- It seems to us from Mr Winmill's explanation that he has a different view as to the order in which he should attend the two programmes. He is motivated to complete both but is somewhat dogmatic in his view that the Drug Treatment Programme should be closer to his release date so that he can take advantage of the aftercare programmes in a seamless way.
- At this point Mr Winmill has no release proposal. He did not in any event expect release on parole today. His sole concern appears to be a difference of view with others over the order in which he should complete rehabilitation activities.
- It seems to us that Mr Winmill’s understanding of the rehabilitation process may be enhanced through his participation in a Short Motivational Programme. At present Mr Winmill’s motivation is affected by his perception of how his treatment regime should proceed. That should clear any obstacle.
- Parole today is declined. We will schedule Mr Winmill to return to the Board in 18 months, by 30 September 2022. Pursuant to section 21A of the Parole Act 2002 the Board anticipates that by then he will have completed the Child Sex Offender Treatment Programme and the Drug Treatment Programme. Should he complete both programmes earlier than September 2022, the prison manager is to notify the Board pursuant to section 26(3) of the Parole Act 2002 and he will be considered for an earlier hearing.
- The order in which Mr Winmill completes rehabilitation programmes is not an issue the Board is concerned with.