Matakaua Ngaruaine ROUVI 10/5/2021
Under section 21(2) of the Parole Act 2002
Matakaua Ngaruaine ROUVI
Hearing: 10 May 2021
at Springhill Corrections Facility via AVL to Rimutaka Prison
Members of the Board: Sir Ron Young (Chairperson)
Dr J Skipworth
Mr B McMurray
DECISION OF THE BOARD
- Mr Rouvi who is 62 years of age was sentenced to life imprisonment for murder in 2009.
- His security classification is minimum. He has two pages of previous convictions involving a number of driving while intoxicated as well as an indecent assault in 1976.
- We last saw him in January 2021, at that stage he had completed both the Saili Matagi Programme and the Drug Treatment Programme.
- Further help however was thought needed relating to his high risk. The possibility of a release to the (withheld) was mentioned and developing some support for Mr Rouvi in the community was also seen as important.
- As to the current position Mr Rouvi has continued to work with the psychologist. He told us today he has about five further sessions to complete and that he is working on a safety plan currently. On that basis he would complete that rehabilitative work somewhere near the end of June 2021.
- He is on internal self-care and apparently is working well. He has had a number of guided releases.
- Corrections for understandable reasons have indicated they do not consider( withheld) as suitable accommodation and have referred him for consideration to (withheld) in (withheld).
- We think the way forward therefore now is as follows.
(1) Firstly, to complete the one on one counselling. Arising from that we ask that a full psychological report be prepared which identifies risk, any further rehabilitation that may be necessary and comment on any reintegration.
(2) Secondly Mr Rouvi needs a more developed release plan, particularly relating to his accommodation which remains uncertain.
(3) Thirdly we support further guided releases for him. It will be important for him to develop support of the Pasifika community in (withheld).
(4) Fourthly we understand at the moment he is doing external farm work which qualifies him for consideration for transfer to either Outer Self Care or Te Whare Oranga Ake. That seems an appropriate way forward for him.
(5) Finally Release to Work would be possible as part of his reintegration.
- All of that will take some time. We will see him again by the end of March 2022.
- We record that Mr Rouvi is undertaking ACC Counselling.
Sir Ron Young