Roger Tira KAHUI 27/4/2021
Under section 21(2) of the Parole Act 2002
Roger Tira KAHUI
Hearing: 27 April 2021
at Auckland Prison
Members of the Board: Sir Ron Young (Chairperson)
Dr J Skipworth
Ms M Kleist
Mr J Thomson
DECISION OF THE BOARD
- Mr Kahui, who is 51 years of age, was sentenced to preventive detention for sexual offending. His RoC*RoI is 0.94. His ASR is 4. We were told today that his high security classification is going to come down to low/medium. He has 11 pages of previous convictions involving property and violence offending spread over the last 35 years.
- We last saw him in May 2019. The Board then noted that he denied many of his convictions for sexual offending. The Board identified the (withheld) Programme as the least intervention possible. At that stage Mr Kahui was not motivated to undertake the programme.
- As to the current position, Mr Kahui signed a waiver which said that he would come down to the Parole Board area but stay in the cells behind the Parole Board room and communicate with us through his lawyer, Mr Chambers. Unfortunately, today Mr Chambers did not appear before the Board. (withheld). We spoke to the PCO of Mr Kahui’s unit. He told us Mr Kahui did not want to come down to the Parole Board. He was content where he was and functioning well there.
- In the circumstances, we think it important that Mr Kahui does have a lawyer who can communicate with us but we also think it very important for Mr Kahui to come before the Board so that we can discuss with him the way forward .
- He is currently waitlisted to do the (withheld) and the (withheld) Programme and it is said needs psychologist help from a psychologist to ready him for those programmes.
- To facilitate the appearance of Mr Kahui’s lawyer and Mr Kahui, we will see him again by the end of June 2021. In the meantime, he remains an undue risk.
Sir Ron Young