Lorin WINTER 12/1/2022
Under section 21(2) of the Parole Act 2002
Hearing: 12 January 2022
At Otago Corrections Facility via MS Teams
Members of the Board: Judge J Lovell-Smith
Ms T Sharkey
Mr C Roberts
In Attendance: [withheld] - Case Manager
DECISION OF THE BOARD
- Lorin Winter was sentenced to five years three months imprisonment for burglary (x 7) for unlawful possession of a pistol and taser, receiving and unlawfully taking a motor vehicle.
- Since his last appearance before the Board Mr Winter has not incurred any incident reports or misconduct charges and has an excellent report from his PCO and case manager. He is IDU free and has not been the subject of any drug tests since his last appearance.
- His security classification has just been reviewed and is now minimum.
- Mr Winter is now working on the dairy farm. He has completed the MIRP in December 2021 but has yet to undertake the maintenance programmes. His reintegration plan has yet to be completed.
- Mr Winter does not have confirmed accommodation, but he has applied to [withheld] supported accommodation. Mr Winter is keen to be released to [withheld] where he has family support and would enable him to make a fresh start.
- The psychologist’s report has recommended that Mr Winter work with his case manager to develop clear reintegration plan and a robust community-based support system prior to release. The psychologist encourages Mr Winter to share his relapse prevention plan and discuss his post-release goals with both his support networks.
- Taking all these matters into account, Mr Winters’ risk remains undue. Given his significant progress to date, Mr Winter will be seen again in July 2022 and no later than the end of that month. Should his reintegration plan be completed earlier, and his circumstances change then section 26 of the Parole Act 2002 may be available to him.
- All options however remain with the next Board.
Judge J Lovell-Smith